6-2 Solving Systems of Linear Equations by Substitution
Objective: Solve systems of linear equations by substitution.
When graphing won't work, or you are too lazy to get a piece of graph paper, you can use the substitution method of solving a system of linear equations.
Solving a System of Linear Equations by Substitution (Is this alliteration?)
- Solve one of the equations for one of the variables, if not already done.
- Substitute the resulting expression into the other equation for that variable.
- Solve that equation to get the value of the first variable.
- Substitute that value into one of the original equations and solve.
- Write the values from Steps 3 and 4 as an ordered pair, (x, y) and check.